At Bible Study today, one of our members talked about a priest that raised up a $20 bill and said that he would give any person the $20 if they could give 20 reasons why they went to Mass. No one got the $20 that day. I can't afford to offer $20, but I would like to challenge you to come up with your 20 reasons for going to Mass.
I have come up with ten so far, which I'll share below. Hopefully you can come up with more or better ones than I have! I'm going to keep thinking and praying until I reach at least 20!!
- It is a sacrament and I know I must go
- I need to receive Jesus in the Eucharist
- I want to hear the Scriptures proclaimed
- I hope to hear a homily that will enrich my faith or compel me to action
- I want to make time to pray for specific needs
- I want to engage with other members of my parish family
- I feel incomplete if I miss Mass
- I am looking for an experience that will draw me closer to God
- To receive forgiveness of venial sins when I request that forgiveness during the prayers of the Mass
- To participate in a Mass that has a tradition that goes all the way back to when Jesus first celebrated it with the Apostles at the Last Supper
Feel free to email your ideas to me and I'll post the best ones in a future blog! [email protected]